Wednesday, August 21, 2013



I am a Mormon and I love it, I want to share it with everyone! Why? Because it means so much to me. It gave me the greatest comfort when my dad died, it gives me peace concerning my future, it enhances my understanding of the world and people around me, it increases my joy, and it provides me with hope. So, before coming on this trip, I knew I would have the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people and wanted to do something to pass on the joy I have in my life. I thought of bringing three copies of The Book of Mormon to give away, but seeing as I was already packing just the basics I knew I wouldn't have the room. Instead, I've used a pad of paper and pen. 

In the Chicago airport I met this cute, Canadian girl, Melinda. She was on her way to Dublin to work for a few years. We talked about the program she was going with and her college experience and my plans with my two friends. An announcement roared across the gate saying it was time to board. I wished her luck and gathered my things to board the plane. The entire flight passed by quickly for me (thank you Advil PM) and we were in line for border control when I saw her in line behind us. A thought hit me like a ton of bricks. "Don't let this girl go without knowing where she could find a good group of young adults to hang out with." I tried my hardest to access the Internet so I could write down the address of the church down, but nothing would load! I prayed and tried again. Nothing. What could I do? "Write a quick note and tell her how to find it." That was all I could think of, so I did it. Just before I was ushered forward to have my passport checked, I asked her how her flight was and we chatted briefly. I gave her my note and wished her luck. She thanked me and gave me a big smile. It felt so good to know that I had at least showed her what she could do to gain the best thing I've ever had in my life.

Then, while we were in Copenhagen, we wanted to have real Danishes. Luckily, we stumbled upon this great pastry shop with the sweetest cashier. Suzanne and I asked her what the most Danish Danish was. She smiled and pointed at two different kinds. I got one and Suzanne got the other. When the cashier handed them to me she said, "You're a very nice person." I was surprised by her comment; I just was not expecting it. Giving her my biggest smile, I thanked her and proceeded to smile and walk to find a table. I thought, "I want her to know what helps me to be a nice person, what gives me lasting joy." So I took out my handy dandy notebook and wrote her a note. She was so genuine and kind and I wanted to let her know as well. I handed her my note and wished her a good evening.

And just yesterday I was climbing the bell tower in Florence. Suzanne and Kara said they didn't have enough energy, so I did it by myself. The view was absolutely brilliant, and the breeze was so refreshing. I walked around the top for one round and just didn't want to get down, I was just so addicted to the panorama of Florence. In my attempts to not clog the little walking area allotted, I realized there was just enough of the roof exposed for me to sit up and cling to the chain fence. Some rather ostentatious glances were cast my way, but there was one young lady who did not think it so strange. She asked me to take her photo and I gladly did. She was backing packing too, but alone. Dvera from Boston. We talked for a while about our lives and plans. I mentioned my mission and she talked about meeting the sister missionaries on the train. She asked question after question and I just grinned from ear to ear, ready and willing to say whatever I needed to. The rest of the evening she walked and talked with us. We even met up again the next day- today. 

I love people. Everyone has their own story and a great contribution to the world around them. And, yet, despite our diversity, the gospel of Jesus Christ unites us all and can enhance the quality of anyone's life. I know it to be true. Read the Book of Mormon. Give it a shot. Jesus Christ is in every single page.

I may not have been able to give the book that means the most to me to these three girls, but I was still able to share the message- the message of god's love for His children. What can I say? I love love ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment