Monday, July 22, 2013


Confession: I love love.

Catching his glance across a room. Laughing at a witty comment he made. Hearing that he thought the food you made was delicious. Getting butterflies when your fingers touch. It's great!

Second confession: I want to be married and look forward to being married. Now, why do I feel more embarrassed to admit that?! Is it because it's socially taboo to talk about? Or is it because the moment you say that you're afraid every guy in a 20 mile radius has heard you and they'll all run away out of fear of you pouncing on them?

So, because of this desire there have been multiple times in my life when I've become slightly frustrated and sad that I wasn't dating or married. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed being single. There's so much to do! And I love the life. But there is something to be desired. This frustration, however, has slowly gone away, or, should I say, evolved into something else. Just a few days ago, I was talking to my mom about this new concern that was weighing on my mind.

"I'm ok with being single," I told her, "but now, my worry is that I haven't ever met him yet and there's this long series of events, a set-up, that needs to happen before I'll really be close to being married. That just doesn't sound like fun to me."

Moms always know what to say. She only need a small moment, in which, she looked rather pensive. Now, to give some background information, my mom and dad met in a sacrament meeting. "There was only room for one more person on the end of the pew, and he decided to sit by me." She said he sat by a different girl every week, and when he finally sat next to her, she had the butterflies!!! Going through her mind were thoughts like 'why is he sitting next to me?!' Upon the conclusion of the meeting, my mother turned to him and invited him over for birthday cake. "Tomorrow's my birthday and my roommates made cake, would you like to come?"
"Yeah, that sounds like fun. My birthday's tomorrow, too."
"No, it's not. One of my roommates is putting you up to this."
"No, it really is." And then he pulled out his driver's license. Sure enough, it was. My mom says there's no such thing as coincidences (which is true!) and she knew he had to be hers; it just took a little time. 

So, that Sunday was July 6, 1981. After I had told my mother about what had been on her mind and she had taken her one small moment to come up with something brilliant she said, "KC, today could be your July 5, 1981." I stopped and thought, confused by what she meant. Reading my facial expression, she then went on to say, "You see, July 5, 1981, I was hoping for someone to come along. I didn't have any prospects and I was just waiting. And then the next day was July 6, 1981. Today could be your July 5th."
I looked at her and smiled. Brilliant! She struck gold. That night, I told my roommates about that and the following day one of them texted me and said, "Happy July 5, 1981!"
Immediately a grin came across my face. Today and tomorrow hold endless possibilities! And I can find joy knowing that I have an accumulation of righteously lived yesterdays. So, if you're ever down, think of the wise insight as delivered by my wonderful mother.

1 comment:

  1. You are adorable KC. I cant even tell you how much I flippin adore you. My advice is this. Yes, I know the feeling and it can be so annoying, but when I think about the time Gav and I met (You know, you were there!) It was sooo magical. The entire 'set up' as you called it was the best time of my life. I am not saying that where I am in my life isnt just as magical and fun, but there is something about that specific time in my life that I would live over and over again if I could. Those butterflies dont come as easily as they did then, the giddiness you feel with that cute boy texts you eventually fades away. Granted, it is replaced by true and unwaivering love, but that 'newness' isnt there and its that newness that is so wonderful and fantastic. Your July 6th is coming and the anticipation must be killing you! But relish that time when it comes because it zooms by so quickly! Take in every. single. moment. Because it IS magic!

    ReplyDelete